Saturday, May 17, 2014

The year of the "grandes directeurs" - the big directors @Festival de Cannes 2014



In all honesty one can say I am a film geek. I have my favorite genres (drama, biopic, comedy), my favorite actors and actresses (Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Keira Knightley, Mia Wasikowska), but most of all: my favorite directors including Jean-Luc Godard and Martin Scorsese.

83 year old Godard is presenting his new film "Goodbye to language" at the Cannes Film Festival and is competing for the prize (la Palme d'Or) in the main section. You can find the trailer (french only) here. I am really looking forward to the reviews of this particular film. It's a 3D experiment movie, so to speak. Godard never seems to disappoint his audience and has a lot of creativity which a lot of younger directors don't act out. Curious!

What else is going on in Cannes: The canadian filmmaker David Cronenberg brings along his new movie called "Maps to the stars", including Robert Pattinson and Julianne Moore in a Hollywood satire. The trailer can be found on this page.

The reason for the absence of the Royal family of Monacco is simple: The opening movie is about Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco and fashion icon played by Nicole Kidman. They did not consent with the script and did not come like they usually do. I would go, if I could. Noone likes to miss a good party, right?

More information on the Cannes Film Festival: http://www.festival-cannes.com/

2 comments:

  1. I would consider myself a big film geek also! You should do a post about your favourite films :)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning to do one, already have a list of some new favorites :) this year has been really good so far as my list of good movies is concerned :) do you have any favorite directors?

      Delete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner